Bushfire Recovery

RFCS Central Region has specialist Bushfire Recovery Financial Counsellors available to assist you now. The bushfires decimated many small businesses and farming businesses and have had an enormously detrimental impact on services and people in parts of our region.

Our Bushfire Recovery Financial Counsellors are located close to our Region's worst affected areas : Lithgow; Blue Mountains; Hawkesbury; Wollondilly; and Mid Western regions.

Call to make an appointment to meet with one our Bushfire Recovery Financial Counsellors. They’ll help you assess your current situation and work with you towards a plan for recovery.


Your Counsellor will support you to :

- find the assistance is right for you

- complete applications for government assistance

- review your financial situation

- review your business goals and redefine

- develop a recovery business plan – support when dealing with your lenders, assist in cash flow development and forecasting



The following Government assistance is available and please check with your Bushfire Recovery Financial Counsellor for updates on Closing Dates and Eligibility.



 $75k Bushfire Recovery Grant

Disaster recovery grants of up to $75,000 are now available to primary producers in LGAs affected by the NSW bushfires that have occurred from 31 August 2019 with most regions closing 30 July 2020.

The grant is provided to help pay for the costs of clean up, reinstatement activities and emergency measures associated with the immediate recovery of primary production enterprises.

View the Special Disaster Grant – Bushfires webpage to find out if you are eligible and for more information on how to apply, or contact the Rural Assistance Authority on 1800 678 593 


 $15k Disaster Recovery Grant

Grants of up to $15,000 are available to primary producers, small businesses and not-for-profit organisations in Local Government Areas affected by the NSW bushfires. It can be applied for if you are not applying for the $75,000 Bushfire Recovery Grant.

For more information on eligibility and how to apply visit the RAA Disaster Recovery Grants  or contact the Rural Assistance Authority on 1800 678 593


 Disaster Recovery Payment

Support for eligible people adversely affected by the bushfires in New South Wales from August 2019 through to January 2020 is available as a one-off payment. Eligible individuals will receive $1000 per adult an $800 for each child younger than 16. This payment is made to individuals who have lost their home or had significant damage to their home.

The fastest way to make a claim is calling the Department of Human Services on 180 22 66. You have until 4 August 2020 to make a claim.
For more information visit The Department of Human Service Webpage on the NSW Bushfires


 Disaster Recovery Allowance

The Disaster Recovery Allowance is available as support for people who can show they lost income as a direct result of the bushfires in New South Wales in August 2019 through to January 2020. This is a short term payment, for a maximum of 13 weeks, payable from the date you lose income as a direct result of the fires.

The fastest way to claim is over the phone, by calling the Department of Human Services on 180 22 66. You have until 4 August 2020 to make a claim.
For more information visit the Department of Human Service Webpage on the NSW Bushfires 


 NSW Government Disaster Relief Grants

NSW Government Disaster Relief Grants are available for eligible individuals and families whose homes and essential household contents have been damaged or destroyed by a natural disaster.

To apply, call the Disaster Welfare Assistance Line on 1800 018 444

For more information visit the NSW Government Office of Emergency Management Financial support.


Natural Disaster Transport Subsidy

A natural disaster assistance transport subsidy is available to eligible farmers who are affected by a declared natural disaster event. This subsidy pays for the cost of transporting:

  • Fodder and/or water to an affected property
  • stock to sale or slaughter
  • stock to/from agistment

 For more information on how to claim go to the Rural Assistance Authority National Transport Subsidy webpage or contact the Rural Assistance Authority on 1800 678 593




 Emergency Fodder

Fire affected landholders requiring emergency fodder are being urged to call the Agricultural and Animal Services Hotline, to request fodder and arrange collection.

Contact the Agricultural and Animal Services Hotline on 1800 814 647


Contacts for Donated Fodder and Supplies

Blaze Aid

Assistance to rebuild fences and other structures that have been damaged or destroyed.
Website: https://blazeaid.com.au/ 
Phone: 0418 530 471
Email: admin@blazeaid.com.au 

Lions Need for Feed

Donated fodder and other supplies.
Website: http://www.needforfeed.org/apply-for-assistance.html 
Phone: 0459 444 111

Rural Aid (Buy a Bale)

Assistance for fodder, water, groceries, workers and immediate bill relief.
Website: https://www.buyabale.com.au/can-we-help-you/
Phone: 1300 327 624
Email: contact@buyabale.com.au 




Mental Health Support

24/7 telephone services offering counselling and support

If you or someone you know is in immediate danger, call Triple Zero (000) or go to your nearest hospital emergency department.

The following are free services available 24 hours a day, seven days a week:

  • Lifeline Australia: 13 11 14 or Lifeline Australia
    A crisis support service that provides short term support at any time for people who are having difficulty coping or staying safe.
  • Beyond Blue: 1300 224 636 or Beyond Blue
    Available by phone or online via chat or email, to provide support on a range of mental health issues.
  • MensLine Australia: 1300 78 9978 or Mensline Australia
    A telephone and online counselling service for men.
  • Kids Helpline: 1800 551800 or Kids Helpline
    A free, private and confidential 24/7 phone and online counselling service for young people aged 5 to 25 years.
  • NSW Mental Health Line: 1800 011 511
    Mental health crisis telephone service in NSW.

Farmers and business owners in bushfire affected areas can access Farm Gate counsellors and peer support workers on the Mental Health Line, 1800 011 511.

Rural Adversity Mental Health Program

The RAMHP provides a range of information services to individuals, communities and service providers to link rural and remote people to the help they need.

Call 02 6363 8444 to find the location of your nearest RAMHP Officer, or for more information visit www.ramhp.com.auABN: 4 641 712 065 | Privacy Policy